Sunday, August 5, 2012

Week 6

      My weeks are starting to really blend together for whatever reason and recalling the past week of work is proving to be way more difficult than usual. Time continues to move astonishingly fast. Less than two weeks left! :(
      Monday was a pretty standard day at the clinic. I took some time to transcribe my interview from Friday afternoon, a task that I've come to despise. Poliana and myself also began to do some follow-up on the donations we had requested from local businesses. We have already heard back from one bakery and two grocery stores, Whole Foods and Safeway. Poliana is so so excited about the arrangements being made so far in advance. We have a plate 45 mini fruit tarts and $200 in gift cards for the fundraiser already! 
      Tuesday I spent the morning in the city. I had another interview with Tanya Mera, director of Jail Aftercare Services (JAS). JAS is a branch of Jail Psych Services that specializes in re-entry services and mental health care linkages with community clinics for severely mentally ill inmates being released. They mostly work with inmates who have been referred to them by the behavioral health court. She was extremely personable and informative and gave me a lot of input on what she would expect to see in the video. She made a really good suggestion of including a "how to stay healthy in jail" portion. 
      After the interview, I had a meeting with Kate and Isela of FAP on what my next steps should be, as I had reached a stand still and don't have too much time left. I was so nervous. I personally had felt that I could have done so much more in terms of the video. I went over all of the interviews with them, what I had learned, and the script I had for the video so far. They were so impressed with all that I had accomplished so far. They reassured me that compared to what they had at the beginning of my internship (nothing) that now they have a really solid basis from which this video can be created. Another meeting was scheduled with Kate and Dr. Goldenson for the end of the week, and then Isela took me into the jail to show me more of it. She took me through the intake process so I could get the idea how what the inmates have been through before they move into their housing pods for orientation. They go through two different medical intake screenings during intake. 
      The clinic's graphic designer is finally ready to take on updating the website with my material! He figured out the best way to make the changes I had suggested and is in the process of doing so. All of the material I had prepared thus far is now in his possession. I spent a good deal of time this week working on writing each clinician's bio. That will be the next thing I send onto him by the end of this next week. 
      In preparing for my meeting with Dr. Goldenson (director of JHS) and Kate on Friday, I worked extensively on my video script taking in the consideration the input Kate and Isela had given me earlier in the week. I was excited to get Dr. Goldenson's feedback as well as hear how he pictured this whole video panning out. He too was pleased with what I had accomplished. Our meeting focused on how to actually get the video produced. They are going to look into the possibility of partnering with one of the local universities' film production departments. I hope it can be done. 
      Despite there not being an actual video at the moment, I am really pleased with the information I was able to gather for JHS. In completing a great portion of the planning process, someone can just pick up with what I've done and run with it. Sometime this next week, I'll have one last meeting with Kate and hand everything over to her, all of my interviews and the edited script. All in all, it was a fantastic week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment