Sunday, August 12, 2012

Week 7: Winding Down & Wrapping Up

      This past week was spent primarily wrapping things up. I've been editing my materials for both the clinic and JHS in an attempt to provide them with the most complete and perfect product. Poliana and I took a mid-week break to work on the annual fundraiser/explore wine country. 
      I completed all of the clinicians and Poliana's abbreviated bios for the TSC's website. I actually had a pretty good time with this task. It was both interesting and challenging to play back these twenty minute interviews with the staff members and then compile and compact the information into a short paragraph. The clinicians are all of similar age, and they were in the medical field when the HIV/AIDS epidemic began to emerge. It's really interesting for me to listen to their recollections of the time and how they got to where they are today. I also really love hearing about what they actually do for a living. Two of them work for pharmaceutical companies and another is a professor of medicine at UCSF. There's a lot of knowledge of HIV/AIDS at the Tom Steel Clinic, and it shows in the most advanced care they are able to provide to their patients. 
      Since the clinic is closed on Wednesdays, Poliana and I took the day to travel up to Sonoma County to inquire about wine donations for the annual fundraiser. We stopped by small, family-owned wineries and some big named ones as well, however their reaction was not as positive as the local businesses had been. It seems as though they get a lot of requests for this sort of thing. Many replied by saying they had already reached their donation quota for the year. We were a little bummed, but we had to give it a try. We probably visited about 20 wineries and 8 took our information. So all in all, it wasn't a complete fail. We enjoyed a nice lunch in the cutest town of Calistoga, and our way back to Marin we stopped by Grgich Hills Winery for my first wine tasting experience. We got a tour of the beautiful vineyard and cellar and sampled some really great wines. A great way to end the day! 
      I also wrapped up all of my work for Jail Health Services throughout the week. I needed to make a few edits to video script based on the feedback from Dr. Goldenson. I organized the materials into a binder: an outline of the video, notes from the meetings I had had, the script, and all of my transcribed interviews. I dropped the packet and electronic copies off at the FAP office on Thursday afternoon but neither Kate or Isela were around. I will probably call the office sometime soon to see if there is anything else they would like from me. 
      I can't believe I only have two days left. I have no idea where the time has gone. I'm extremely pleased with all that I've learned and accomplished in the short 7 weeks. I'll be sure to savor the next two days of work and life in Northern California. It'll be bittersweet to have to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment