Thursday, August 16, 2012

The End :(

      So my dream summer internship in California has come to an end... it hasn't quite sunken in just yet, and I have a feeling that it won't for a little while. I had the greatest time imaginable, and I learned so much more than I had anticipated. The challenge of moving across the country and tackling unfamilar tasks has taught me a lot about myself. I'm really pleased with my experience overall.
      My last two days were spent at the clinic, and they were pretty uneventful. I had gotten in touch with Kate of FAP on Monday morning, and she was extremely pleased with what I had left her. I spent the rest of Monday completing an "internship evaluation" for Dr. Estes. I just basically wrote and reflected on what I had done over the summer (quite similar to this blog actually, just a bit more formal). I'm really happy with how the paper turned out. I plan on sending it onto Tim & Kathy Statton, the Juniata trustee/alum family who set up my internship, in the near future. The paper also served as a great introduction/overview of the binder I put together containing all of the materials I had completed for the clinic. I printed and organized all of my work for the website, the clinic operations manual, and the annual fundraiser. Having actual printed documents makes my work seem all the more real. Poliana can refer to it whenever she needs to whether it be for editing purposes or anything else. I wrote quite a few more policies than she had thought so she was very pleased. :)
      After our little wine excursion didn't go so well, I decided to spend Monday afternoon contacting wineries by email. I drafted a formal email requesting the donation for the fundraiser and then attached an individualized letter for each establishment. I probably contacted about 15 wineries, including a few located here in Marin county. I was sort of operating on the "worst they can say is no" philosophy and just gave it a shot. Then, on Tuesday afternoon, Poliana received a call from one of the wineries. THEY'RE DONATING A CASE OF WINE! We were both so so so happy. She was so pleased that I took the time to do this as she doesn't have the time herself. I'm smiling just thinking about how happy we were. We hope to have at least 3 cases for the event so this is a huge contribution.
      Other than the wine excitement, Tuesday was nothing special. I continued to proofread my paper and other materials before handing them over to Poliana. At the end of the day, it sure didn't feel like I may never step foot in that office again. One of the physicians sent me off with some delicious red velvet cake from her dog's birthday party to ease the pain.
      Poliana and I didn't have to say goodbye just yet. I was dreading this moment more than anything. We had basically spent everyday for the past 7 weeks side by side, and it's already weird not having her to talk to. She is one of the kindest, smartest, most reliable people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. At the end of the day, we ran an some errands together and then she dropped me off at home. Goodbyes are the worst!! It was so so sad. I kept it nice and short for fear of tears. If I ever make the trip out to Northern California again, she'll be the first person I visit.
      I know I said this already, but I really really cannot believe it's over. I am so thankful for the amazing opportunity, and I know I will never forget it. Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment