Friday, July 6, 2012

Week 2: San Francisco County Jail Sneak Preview

      This week just flew by! Maybe it was that mid-week break, or maybe I'm just really enjoying myself. We'll never know. 
      I spent 3.5 days in the clinic again. The week began with another meeting with Dr. Estes where I was able to receive some feedback on the work I had done for the website thus far. His critiques were helpful, but it seems as though he's not even sure exactly what he wants. In the words of Poliana, "he's quite difficult to please." I've made it a personal goal to impress him. I'm sure I can develop the Tom Steel Clinic in a such a way that even Dr. Milton Estes will be proud of. 
      Once again, my time this week was split between working on the website and writing the policies and procedures manual. I'm very surprised by just how much I enjoy drafting the manual. I have to ask Poliana a lot of questions, but in turn, I'm getting to learn the entirety of clinic functions. I also have done an extensive amount of research into other health facilities' operations manuals. I'm learning a great deal about how small, private clinics operate in comparison to other health settings. Turns out, Poliana is much much easier to please than Dr. Estes. She began to read over what I had written so far, and she was very impressed! I definitely feel like I'm making a great contribution to the clinic after receiving her gratitude. It's pretty tedious work, and I've barely made a dent in a full manual, but I am extremely empowered to keep trudging forward. 
One of four San Francisco County Jail
branches, also houses the Deputy Sheriff's Headquarters
and the Hall of Justice; South of Market, San Francisco, CA
      I got to witness and be involved in more patient services this past week. A patient had passed over the weekend, and it was so interesting to see how various services, the clinic (multiple clinicians) and the police, specifically the coroner, dealt with that situation. There were also a few emergency services that needed to be held at the clinic that normally would not have been. One of the nurse practitioners, Tom Young, is willing to do anything for the clinic's patients. He has a lot of experience in various health settings, and with Dr. Estes' permission, he'll perform minor emergency procedures right in the office. 
      This afternoon I finally got the chance to meet with Dr. Estes in his office in the city. His primary job is his clinical work for the Forensic AIDS Project (FAP), which works beneath the San Francisco County Jail Health Services. The FAP administrative office is actually 1.5 blocks from the jail. We met with one of the co-directors of the project, Kate Monico Klein. She's actually from State College, small world. It seems as though I'll be working closest with her. My project for them, now that I have more details, will be developing a film to be played during inmate orientations outlining the health care they will receive while incarcerated. My contributions will go mainly under Jail Health Services seeing as I will be covering all services, not only HIV/AIDS care. 
Forensic AIDS Project (FAP) offices - 2nd floor;
South of Market, San Francisco, CA
       I'll return to the FAP office on Monday to begin my work. I'm very excited for the change of pace and the new people I'll be working with. There are numerous case managers, nurses, and other professionals working there regularly. The individuals who begin HIV/AIDS care while incarcerated and are then released, continue care with the FAP team. I'm also really looking forward learning more about the project; it's quite interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment