Wednesday, June 27, 2012

      My move to Tiburon, California has been quite successful! I began my work at the Tom Steel Clinic in Mill Valley, CA this past Monday. I continue to be impressed by the knowledge and compassion shown by Dr. Estes and the additional health professionals working in HIV/AIDS care at the clinic.
      So far I have primarily been familiarizing myself with how the clinic works as well as general HIV/AIDS information. I have been working very closely with the clinic's coordinator, Poliana VanTassell. She is a wonderful resource. I have learned a great deal about HIV/AIDS care and resources available for affected individuals in San Francisco and the surrounding areas.
      Dr. Estes explained to me more in depth my responsibilities for the summer between the TSC and the San Francisco County Jail. At the clinic, I will be updating and expanding their webpage, creating a policy and procedural manual for the facility, and eventually working with Poliana to apply for the Ryan White grant. At the jail, I will be working to develop materials, print and/or digital, to outline the available HIV/AIDS care for those who are incarcerated.
      As a Health Communication POE with an interest in health administration, I look forward to all that I will be exposed to this summer. A completely different, but extremely relevant and important, aspect of health care is going to be right at my fingertips.

No comments:

Post a Comment